Home

Friday, June 19, 2015

Would you like to touch a jellyfish? Family time at the National Aquarium

     To celebrate my husband’s return from last week's business trip, we loaded up the family and headed for the National Aquarium in Baltimore. It was the first time we had visited as an entire family.


     After a brief stop to listen to a sea turtle talk, the children made a beeline for the brand new “Please Don’t Touch the Animals” tanks.       While there were a variety of touchable stingrays, star fish and horseshoe crabs, the most mesmerizing creatures were the moon jellies. It was kind of comical to see some of the adults shying away from the tank where so many eager children were patting the creatures' velvety backs. Some of the docents were gently ribbing them about their reticence and urging them to follow the children’s lead and get their hands wet!
     My favorite part of the National Aquarium is always the dolphins. I was proud of my daughter for having the courage to ask the trainer a question afterward. (We learned that dolphins shed their skin much more rapidly than humans, which makes them super smooth.) Thanks to Dolphin Tale movies and the Hope for Winter book we had recently enjoyed, seeing the dolphins was even more meaningful this time around.
    My son’s perpetual favorite animals are always the lizards, and the Australian exhibit never disappoints.
     One of my favorite things about such a wonderful outing is extending the learning and fun afterward with enriching library books. We checked out quite a stack with the kids zeroing in on the lizard and snake books. 


     One of the my favorite non-fiction animal book authors for children is Nic Bishop because of his vibrant photographs. I love how his images pop right off the page! I’m so thankful our local public library has many of his books.
     I’m also thankful God made so many wonderful creatures for our family to enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment